This is a therapeutic riding program that uses equine-assisted activities for the purpose of contributing positively to the cognitive, physical, emotional, and social well-being of people with disabilities. Therapeutic riding provides benefits in the areas of therapy, education sport, and recreation & leisure. It is in essence teaching riding to people with special needs being aware of the therapeutic benefit.
Youth Development Riding
Whilst we are a mass participation program, Shumbashaba recognizes the desire of many of the youth to learn to ride and as a result, we have offer riding lessons to a growing number of youngsters who have come through our ground-based equine-assisted life skills programs and participated in our Horse Appreciation program thereby having earned their “ticket to ride”.
- Out of therapy develops the skill of riding a horse.
- Increased confidence
- Physical adjustments and benefits (dependent on nature of disability)
a. Improvement of balance
b. Increased muscle tone
c. Neuromuscular facilitation through proprioceptive stimulation of the pelvis and legs.
- Social interaction with others in an integrated (of both people with and without disabilities) environment
- Enhance cognitive, physical, and emotional well-being of people with disabilities
- Increased physical fitness through equestrian sport, ball sports and athletics
- Psychological wellbeing benefits
- Space for children to play
- Increased grasp of important life skills.
- Provide a safe space for vulnerable children and youth to meet, play, and learn new skills
- Promote physical literacy, competence and belonging
- Develop life-skills such as; respect, team work, collaboration, problem-solving and resilience
- Learning + Sports & Recreation
- Runs every Saturday, 9am – 14pm.
- Provide the infrastructure for a soup kitchen to ensure participants have access to a warm and nutritious meal and the opportunity to identify particularly vulnerable children to provide additional food to.
- People in need of mental health services are aware of Shumbashaba and thus are more able to access our services
- Be an active and trustworthy member in the community in order to ensure Shumbashaba is accessible to anyone who may need assistance